Residential Lettings in Burnley and Pendle

Our residential lettings department deals with properties throughout the Burnley and Pendle areas.

Why Choose Us?

For the inexperienced landlord - renting out their property for the first time - we provide a ‘fully comprehensive service’. For the more experienced property investor we offer an ‘introduction only’ service – finding tenants and preparing tenancy agreements. You will then be responsible for collecting the rent and dealing with repairs and maintenance of your property.


When you place your property with Roberts and Smith prospective tenants will always be accompanied by a member of our staff when viewing the property.


We use the services of an independent referencing company to carry out credit checks on prospective tenants. Also, wherever possible we take up references from previous landlords and/or employers to check the suitability of tenants.

Tenancy Agreements

We prepare an assured shorthold tenancy agreement – usually in the first instance for a term of six months, but the term can be extended if the tenant has proved to be satisfactory and wishes to continue renting the property after the initial period. As solicitors we are able to ensure a legally binding tenancy agreement is created for your peace of mind.


A security deposit is paid by your tenant to cover any damage, breakages and rent arrears. The deposit is held by the Deposit Protection Service (DPS) in a secure ‘client account’.


Rents are payable monthly in advance. Tenants are responsible for council tax, water services bills and gas, electricity and telephone bills. Landlords must insure the property. Rent is held securely in our firm’s ‘client account’. Use of the money held in this account is strictly regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We account to landlords for the rent we have collected (less fees and the cost of any authorised repairs) on a monthly basis.

Safety Checks

It is a legal requirement that the gas appliances in rented properties are checked by a qualified gas service engineer on an annual basis. By law, the electrical installation in the property must also be checked by a qualified person periodically. If required, we can arrange for the safety checks to be carried out on your behalf. If you have your own preferred contractors, we can liaise with them to obtain the essential safety certificates.

Mortgage Lenders

If you have a mortgage, you will not be able to rent out your property without first obtaining the consent of your mortgage lender. It is the responsibility of the landlord to do this before we advertise the property to let.


It is also essential the landlord inform their building and contents insurance company of their intent to rent out the property as this will affect the terms of the policy and the premiums.